Before allowing anyone to transport children, the elderly or disabled, please be sure to obtain documentation verifying the following:
- Driver is 21 years old or older
- Driver has a current driver’s license (keep a copy on file)
- Driver does not have a physical disability that could impair his/her ability to drive safely
- If transporting minors, be sure the driver has undergone a background screening via the Office of Background Screening and completed the Virtus Protecting God’s Children program.
- Driver has a clean driving record - see section on Driving Record Check below.
Driving Record Check
Please obtain a driving record check on all drivers - staff and volunteers - who are entrusted with transporting youth, the elderly or disabled. The purpose of the driving record check is to ensure the driver does not have any serious safety violations, such as driving under the influence (DUI), or a pattern of multiple minor offenses within a short period of time.
To obtain a copy of the driving record, please go to the following website: Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles. The cost is currently $6 per record. Below is a screenshot of the type of information you will be required to submit:
If you prefer to seek the assistance of the Office of Risk Management, please download and fill out the following Driver Record Retrieval Form and send it to the Office of Risk Management per the instructions on the form.
Use of Volunteer or Employee Vehicles
If parents or volunteers are using their own vehicles to transport students, then in accordance with Massachusetts’ law, the personal automobile liability insurance coverage of the automobile vehicle owner is primary. RCAB's Automobile Insurance will provide excess coverage if a claim(s) arising out of an accident exceeds the liability limits of the vehicle owner’s insurance policy. If a parent volunteer will be driving a group of students, obtain specific permission from the parents of each child who will be transported by the volunteer.